13 April 2010

Garlic knots


Remember that roasted garlic post I did last week? Well, I hinted that I was going to do something with it, and this is the result. Garlic knots.

I first tried garlic knots years ago in a little Italian restaurant my dad took me to in Borden, IN. They were so delicious, I was inspired to make my own. After years of tinkering with the recipe, I now have a method that consistently produces mouthwatering results. They must be good because Angela asks for them every time we have something Italian on Friday night. Every time!

I start with my basic pizza dough recipe. I dissolve 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast in one cup of lukewarm water in the work bowl of my stand mixer. Once the yeast begins to foam, I add one cup of bread flour. As the bread flour is being incorporated, I add two heads of roasted garlic and a combination of garlic infused butter and olive oil. I then add a little salt and 2 more cups of bread flour. If the mood strikes me, I may add some dried herbs to the dough.

After all the ingredients form a cohesive ball of goodness, I let the dough sit until it doubles in size. Then, it's time to make the knots. I usually make sixteen knots from one batch of dough. I basically just pinch off some dough, roll it into a six inch rope and tie it in a knot, and put them on a baking sheet. I then brush the tops of the knots with more garlic butter and a sprinkle of garlic salt. I bake them at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and delicious.

They are so simple, and delicious. If you make your own pizza dough already, you're half-way there. Give these a try next time you have spaghetti for dinner; there really is no reason (k)not to!

4 comments:

  1. Son when can I have some of your knots? I miss Bordan IN. the only place I have found that are as good is a liile Italian place in Gatlinburg.

    So i look forward to trying yours very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlicious indeed, Aunt Sue. These knots are for garlic lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, I'm glad you posted a comment! I can make a batch of dough the night before we come visit next time and we bake them at your house. That way we can enjoy them fresh from the oven. I think that would work really well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails