08 July 2009

Nerd alert! - The DHARMA Initiative Recipe Manual

Yes, there are times when I, myself, can not deny my nerdiness. Angela wanted a binder for her birthday so she could store all of the recipes she has printed off the internet in one place. I had one such binder myself, so I wanted to give one to her as a gift, complete with page protectors to keep the pages clean. My binder was just plain black, and I wanted to do something special for her to show I put some thought into it. So, I purchased a white binder with a clear flap across the front, so I could design a cover for the recipe book.

I was diligently working away on Angela's cover when inspiration struck. Suddenly, I had a vision of Sayid pulling out a white DHARMA binder in the Lost episode "Enter 77". Then, I realized I had a high quality image of the DHARMA cafeteria logo on my computer. I put two and two together and was delighted by the fact that I could potentially make my own DHARMA binder with the cafeteria logo for my own recipes.

After I finished Angela's recipe book cover, which turned out to be quite lovely if I do say so myself; I found a screenshot of the DHARMA binder on the internet.
After I had a template to base my design on, I started working away at creating my own version complete with the cafeteria logo. I whipped it out in no time and bought my own white binder the next day. I made an insert for the front and for the spine and it couldn't have turned out better. I transferred my recipes from my old black binder to my new DHARMA one, and I can't help but smile every time I get it out to use it. I've been showing it to everyone who comes over; and upon seeing it, the look on their faces seems to confirm that I am just as big of a nerd as they thought I was, maybe bigger.

5 comments:

  1. That is nothing but pure AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what that symbol was on the right hand side of your blog. Now I know! It's impressive how accurate your binder is to the one seen on Lost. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Eva! I really worked hard to make is as authentic looking as possible. I must have too much time on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, that just JAMS! I totally need one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails