10 July 2009

Grover

Grover was my favorite Sesame Street character when I was growing up, and he still is, for that matter. Grover is a self-described "cute, furry little monster" who has been appearing on Sesame Street since 1969. I like his personality and his willingness to help others and do the right thing. He rarely uses contractions, which really gives him a very distinct way of speaking that sets him apart from the other characters. Some of my most memorable Grover segments are Super Grover, and Near and Far.

I had a stuffed Grover doll when I was little and Angela and I would toss him up into one of our trees and throw things at him to try to get him down. It was quite fun really, and it was all out of love. I also loved the book, The Monster at the End of this Book. The book features Grover learning, to his chagrin, that there is a monster at the end of the book. He uses several ways to try to keep the reader from turning the page, like tying the pages together and building brick walls. The attempts to stop the reader fail, and to Grover's relief (spoiler alert) the monster at the end of the book turns out to be Grover himself. Classic!

I have been delighted by the fact that we have been able to get Ari and Emilie some Grover items here in the last couple of months. We already had The Monster at the End of this Book, but nothing else Grover related. We found Ari a Super Grover shirt, which is pretty cool; and we got Emilie a Grover puppet for her birthday. I think it is the only toy she has that is blue; but when I saw it, I had to get it for her. She absolutely loves it and is filled with glee every time we make the puppet "nibble" on her fingers. That Grover...what a wonderful little monster!


2 comments:

  1. I have to ask: Is the original tree-clinging Grover still with us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the original tree-clinging Grover was still with us Eva. Alas, I believe he was sadly involved in the moist basement debacle that effectively ruined most of my other cherished childhood stuffed toys when we discovered they were covered in mold. This happened back when we lived on Elm Street. A sad day, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails