20 April 2009

Hello old friend

It's funny how things work out sometimes. I joined the digital camera crowd in late 2005 right before Ari was born. I have loved taking pictures since I was a kid; and with the digital camera, I was free to take as many pictures as I wanted without worrying about the cost of development. So, I took pictures of the ceiling fans, rugs, stairs, the banister, anything that I thought looked interesting I wanted to capture. Plus, I also took my fair share of pictures of Ari. I wanted to take a picture of him every day for the first year of his life; and I think I only missed two or three days. I loved it, and I loved my camera!

I would take my camera with me everywhere, and that led to Valerie and I thinking we needed a smaller pocket-size camera to take with us when we were out. My camera was a little inconvenient to take to the park or on walks and whatnot. So, I did my research and found a nifty little camera that got good reviews and was in our price range. It was in early 2008 when we got our new camera; and with its larger display screen and portability, I'm sad to say I simply forgot about my old camera. I just stuck it in a basket with a bunch of other unused electronic devices, tossing it aside because I got a new toy.

A couple months ago, I was taking a picture of Ari and his cars when the lens on my newer camera froze and wouldn't shut. I was bummed. We were able to send it out and get it fixed free of charge, but we were without it for a couple of weeks. Needing to always have a camera close by to capture life's special moments, I dusted off my old digital camera and powered it up to take a few shots. Holding that old camera in my hands again, I realized that I liked it much better than our newer camera, and I felt bad for stashing it away for so long. Sure the display screen may not be as big, and it may be a bit bulky, but it still is darn good camera nonetheless.

We got the small camera back from the manufacturer and it works just fine. But lately, I have been taking more and more pictures with my old camera. It's able to take pictures faster, which is important when trying to capture priceless moments of two small children. It's nice to have the speed of the camera almost match the speed of the kids. Plus, it zooms to a greater distance and the flash travels further. I'm glad to have rediscovered it, and I wish it hadn't taken my other camera breaking for me to do so.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it takes things breaking to have us reevaluate the objects around us! I'm so glad to be back in touch with the Latent Chestnut happenings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you back, Eva! I missed you while your computer was out of commission.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails