24 August 2010

Onion Dip from Scratch


From an elegant dish such as French onion soup, to a simple dip in which to dip a chip, caramelized onions do not disappoint.  I wasn't really a fan of chips and dip until I made my own dip.  I have to say, making onion dip from scratch is far superior to buying a packet of seasoning or buying it pre-made in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.  Plus, it is so simple, there really is no reason not to make it from scratch (I apologize for the double negative, it just seemed to make my point better).  The most involved step is dicing the onions and caramelizing them, but once that is done, the rest is as easy as dumping a seasoning packet in some mayo and stirring. 

Yes, Alton Brown strikes again.  The recipe I use comes from him.  It is yet another example of AB taking a regular food item most people take for granted, teaching the viewers how to make it themselves, and redefining what it is supposed to taste like.  It really is one of my favorite things about cooking, discovering what mass market, processed foods were meant to taste like, and sharing them with my friends and family.  So, if you want to know what real onion dip tastes like, give this recipe a try.  It will redefine the way you think of chips and dip.  Oh, and it helps if you make your own mayonnaise, too! 

Onion Dip from Scratch
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced onions
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
In a saute pan over medium heat add oil, heat and add onions and salt. Cook the onions until they are caramelized, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Mix the rest of the ingredients, and then add the cooled onions. Refrigerate and stir again before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Luke for continuing to redefine fundamental flavors and foods!! I'm never looking at onion dip the same way again! Nicely diced onions by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eva! I take great care to dice the onions as well as I can for the onion dip. I'm glad you noticed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails