31 August 2010

Nonna's German Sweet Chocolate Brownies


After reading Aunt Sue's post on This Old Paper entitled "Nonna's German Sweet Chocolate Brownies", I knew I had to make those brownies.  I have been looking for a brownie recipe for a while now, and I always find myself going back to a mix.  The brownies I have a made from scratch always seemed to have something wrong with them.  They never seemed to be quite right no matter what recipe I tried.  I was beginning to think maybe I didn't like brownies they way they are 'supposed' to taste, and I had been conditioned to prefer the mix.  Oh, let it not be so!

Armed with a new recipe with Nonna and Aunt Sue's seal of approval, I figured this would be my best shot at finding a brownie recipe I would enjoy.  After finding it incredibly easy to convince Valerie and the kids to let me try a new brownie recipe, off to the store we went to get what we needed for the brownies.  With confidence brimming, I purchased some sweet German chocolate and headed home to get cooking.

The brownies were a cinch to prepare and filled the house with the sweet smell of chocolate as they were baking.  Waiting for them to cool was an act of patience I don't soon want to repeat, but I stayed strong.  My patience was rewarded as soon as I tried one.  Still a bit warm from the oven, the brownie was rich, dense, chocolaty, sweet and chewy.  My idea of a darn good brownie.  I have posted the recipe below.  The original recipe calls for margarine, but I substituted butter without any issues.  I also omitted nuts from mine.  We're a nutless brownie kind of group in my house.  I also chose not to put icing on the brownies this time, though I'm sure it would be delicious!

German Sweet Chocolate Brownies
Makes 16
Printable Recipe
1 pkg. (4 oz.) Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate
1/4 C (1/2 Stick) margarine (or butter)
3/4 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 t Vanilla
1/2 C Flour
1/2 C coarsely chopped Nuts

Melt chocolate and margarine in a 2-quart saucepan over very low heat; stir constantly until just melted. Remove from heat. Stir sugar into melted chocolate. Stir in eggs and vanilla until completely mixed. Mix in flour until well-blended. Stir in nuts. Spread in greased 8-inch square pan. Bake 350 degrees – 25 min. (Do not overbake) Cool in pan. Cut in squares.
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
If you wish icing -

Over low heat melt 4 (1 oz.) squares Baker’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate with 1/4 C (1/2 Stick) margarine (or butter). Stirring constantly until just melted. Spread over Brownies. Chill. Cut into squares.

2 comments:

  1. Such appetizing photos!!! Thanks for giving it a go!
    Did Aunt Sue even know we were perplexed about making good brownies!?
    I'm going to try this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those just look out of this world Luke! Great pics of a classic Nonna recipe! I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails