10 May 2010

Good Eats 2: The Middle Years (Coming Soon!)

Even though I knew it was coming, it doesn't waver my excitement in the least.  In fact, now having owned Good Eats: The Early Years for about 8 months only heightens my expectations for Alton Brown's newest book offering.  Here's the official description:


Good Eats 2: The Middle Years picks up where the bestselling Good Eats: The Early Years left off. Showcasing everything Alton Brown fans (and they are legion!) have ever wanted to know about his award-winning television show, The Middle Years is chock-full of behind-the-scenes photographs and trivia, science-of-food information, cooking tips, and—of course—recipes.

Brown’s particular genius lies in teaching the chemistry of cooking with levity and exuberance. In episodes such as “Fit to Be Tied” (meat roulades), “Crustacean Nation” (crab), and “Ill-Gotten Grains” (wheat products), Brown explains everything from how to make the perfect omelet to how to stuff your own sausages. With hundreds of entertaining photographs, along with Brown’s inimitable line drawings and signature witty writing, this comprehensive companion book conveys the same wildly creative spirit as the show itself.


First of all, I don't think I've ever been described as 'legion' before.  Secondly, I know this book will not disappoint.  Some of the highlights of Good Eats: The Early Years include the elusive pastry cream recipe, and having all the recipes given to us with weight measurements, especially The Chewy.  I can only imagine what I will discover or rediscover in this edition.

Some episodes I am most looking forward to reading more about are "Q" (pulled pork), "The Muffin Method Man" (English muffins), "The Man Food Show" (corn dogs), and "Curious Yet Tasty Avocado Experiment" (avocado ice cream).

I have made the featured foods in all these shows, except for the English muffins, which I am eager to try.  I am hoping to learn something more about the others to increase my success rate.  For instance, I never seem to get the breading right on the corn dog, and my avocado ice cream always turns out really hard.  I am hoping AB doles out some additional pearls of wisdom for these applications so the light bulb comes on in my head.

The book is scheduled for release this fall, and it includes a bonus DVD, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails