06 March 2010

Precisely Pizza

Pizza. It's in my blood. Nonna made excellent pizza, my mom makes excellent pizza, and I do my best to follow in their footsteps. They set the bar pretty high, and I am happy that I was able to learn from the best.

I remember eating Nonna's pizza when I was little. The whole wheat crust was light and fluffy, there was not too much cheese, and the topping I remember most is black olives. I always loved eating the edges because the cheese went all the way to outside and it was a little crispy where the cheese met the pan.

My moms pizza isn't quite the same as Nonna's, but still delicious nonetheless. My mom's pizza crust is thicker and she loads it up with cheese. I have to say the cheese on my mom's pizza is the best, I don't know what she does to make it taste so good. There is really nothing like it.

As for my pizza, I like to think it is a cross between Nonna's and my mom's. My crust is more like Nonna's, except I use bread flour instead of whole wheat, and my toppings and the amount of cheese I use us more like my mom's, except not quite as much cheese. I love making pizza; whenever we don't know what to have for dinner, I usually just make a pizza.

I've become better at it over the years and haven't really made any changes to my technique for the past year or so. My favorite toppings are pepperoni, mushroom, and black olives, and I usually opt for a thicker crust. Though, I've started making the crust a little thinner on occasion. Sometimes, I even like to go really thin and bake the pizza's on a pizza stone. Now that's good pizza.

We don't really do frozen pizza or delivery anymore because it usually ends in disappointment. I am lucky to have grown up on homemade pizza, making everything from scratch. When done right, I really can't think of a more satisfying meal.

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I made pizza tonight for dinner. Thin crust, from scratch, on a pizza stone, with pepperoni, onions, olives and artichokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Nim! I didn't know you were a pizza baker. I love using the pizza stone. Artichokes are wonderful, too. I like them on my pizza with spinach and mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope there's some of that pizza making blood in me, too, however latent. Its funny because I just found the recipe card that I jotted 'Nonna's Pizza' recipe on! I'm assuming you have this, if not, I can send it to you.
    It was awesome to chat with you if for only for a sec. I'm back from the hike. :) let's do it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva! I do not have a written copy of Nonna's pizza recipe. I would love for you to send it to me. I enjoyed chatting with you, too. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, I'll send it to you! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails