17 August 2009

The best thing I ever ate...

When Ari and I planted tomato seeds back in March, I had two goals. The first, I at least wanted one tomato to be produced from the batch of seeds; the second, to be able to make marinara sauce from my own home grown tomatoes. Well, I am happy to say that I have now achieved both of my goals. Well, I didn't really achieve the first goal, the tomato plants did that all by themselves; but I did make the marinara sauce on Friday.

Since we planted those seeds, I envisioned a meal consisting of fresh pasta and home-made marinara. The time was finally right as we had an abundance of tomatoes taking residence on our kitchen counter. On Thursday night, I prepped the tomatoes by quickly blanching them in order to remove the skins. I then crushed the tomatoes by hand and let them sit in the refrigerator overnight. I used about twenty tomatoes.

After work on Friday, I hurried home to get started on dinner. I shredded a couple carrots, diced on onion, and sliced a few cloves of garlic and sautéed them on a saucepan. Then, I added the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and some dried herbs. I brought the mixture to a boil and then let it simmer on the stove while I started on the pasta. The marinara had a lot of reducing to do, so I saved my final seasoning adjustments for when it was at the right consistency.

The meal came together rather easily, aside from the final fluster of cutting and boiling the noodles. I had a few hiccups with my normally reliable pasta roller, but that's another story. Once the marinara was at the desired consistency, I added a little olive oil and some red wine vinegar. I don't normally pat myself on the back, but I have to say that dinner was the greatest meal I have ever had the pleasure of eating. I think it was the freshness of all the ingredients that really set it apart. The marinara had a subtle sweetness to it unlike anything I have ever had. The noodles were so delicate and flavorful, I just couldn't get enough.

To my delight, the tomatoes keep coming and coming, and I am saving some for another batch of marinara. The twenty tomatoes I used was just the right amount to feed the four of us and the kids on Friday night. It was such a memorable meal; and simple, too. I can't wait to make another batch!

6 comments:

  1. It was awesome! I look forward to having it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is EXACTLY the reason I want to leave Las Vegas. I am dying to have a garden. Hooray Luke! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yum!

    Fresh tomatoes have to be one of the greatest blessings of the summer! I can almost taste that luscious dish.

    You deserve that pat on the back and a couple of more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Oh my! Luke, that looks terrific! The photograph is very pro too. I bet the whole fam felt pretty high off of such good food that night! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the inspiration, Luke! I'm totally going to make your marinara sauce with the tomatoes that are so bountiful at the moment!
    Like Katie, I love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard to realize how good it can be until you grow your own produce.

    You must expand your garden and start growing a bigger variety of plants.

    Squash, egg plant, cabbage, carrots Think of the freshness and the feeling of growing your own.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails