14 January 2011

Homemade Eggnog


It was quite a happy holiday season at my house thanks in part to this homemade eggnog.  We had a Christmas cookie swap one Friday before Christmas, and I thought it would be fun to make some eggnog to drink with our cookies.  We were not disappointed!  This is the best eggnog I have ever had the pleasure of drinking, and I don't think I will ever buy another carton of eggnog again.

I had made Alton Brown's eggnog a couple years ago, but I made the cooked version.  This year, with my fear of consuming raw eggs all but gone, I decided to try the uncooked version.  I made sure to buy my eggs from a reputable source, The Sunspot, and found the freshest eggs they had.  The uncooked version is definitely the way to go; which makes sense, since that is how eggnog was originally made.  It isn't as heavy as store-bought eggnog, and it has a much more delicate flavor.

The eggnog was surprisingly easy to make, too.  I made the first batch this year with Eva, and it was ready before we knew it.  I think we were both expecting it to be a bit more complicated than it actually was.  All in all, it is a simple and delicious recipe and a real crowd pleaser.  Perfect for holiday entertaining!


Eggnog
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites

Directions
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

3 comments:

  1. The picture make the recipe look even tastier. I would simply offer a friendly recommendation. When using egg-based recipes, maybe try pasteurized shelled eggs. Especially when you have sunny-side eggs, (fried eggs,) raw cookie dough, anything to that affect which leaves some part of the egg raw. Only reason I say this is because I am concerned with what I eat,and also look at those who I'm cooking for. With all these recent egg recalls, you can never be to sure. You should check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mmmhealthyfood! I have tried to find pasteurized shelled eggs in my area and they are not available. I did use pasteurized egg whites for some royal icing, though! I would not eat raw eggs unless I was sure of the source, and I buy my eggs from a local natural food store that my aunt owns. I know who supplies her eggs and have even been to their farm just outside of town. I appreciate your concern, but the chance of an egg containing bacteria is .005% and I am confident the number is even lower in the farm fresh eggs I buy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails