12 June 2009

Looking ahead


My tomato plants have really taken off since the last time I posted about them. I enjoy seeing them grow and it got me thinking about how much fun it will be when I start seeing little tomatoes starting to take shape. The seeds we planted are of the Wisconsin 55 variety from a Seeds of Change packet we got at The Sunspot. I didn't know what to expect from the Wisconsin 55, except that they were going to be red, so I looked them up on the internet. Here is what I found...

Bred by the University of Wisconsin in the 1940s, the Wisconsin 55 is an excellent and versatile tomato with great flavor and lots of sweetness. Smooth, large tomatoes are about 8 ounces and as pretty as can be. Plants are extremely productive and thrive in a wide range of growing conditions.

Reading this got me excited and I know I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I can't wait to start harvesting tomatoes!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the Wisconsin 55! Are you planning on jarring or canning tomato overstock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning on making a lot of marinara sauce and salsa to keep on hand. But I really can't wait for the BLTs and fresh tomato, basil and mozzarella pizzas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails