18 August 2011

Kindergartener


This is Ari the morning of his first day of school.  Yes, there is a little anxiety in his eyes, and he would be the first one to tell you that he was nervous.  He had every right to be.  His world was about to change.

I was apprehensive, too.  The night before, as I was putting him to bed, a rush a emotions came over me out of nowhere.  I finished reading him a book and I asked him how he felt about going to school.  He looked at me and said, "Daddy, I'm nervous."  There was so much trust, so much faith in his eyes that I could ease his mind.  As I was talking to him about what to expect, it hit me, I started to get choked up.  I managed to finish what I was saying, kissed him on the forehead, and took a moment to collect myself before going downstairs.

That look, that trust, that love, I don't ever want to lose that.  I think I saw his first day of school as a glaring signal that he won't be young forever.  He's growing up, and I am so proud of him. 

He did well his first day of school.  We both survived.  He's almost through his first week of school, and though he is a bit tired, he seems to be getting used to his new routine.  He is still the outgoing, generous, kind-hearted little boy he always has been.  I hope he never loses that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails