15 January 2009

Pasta is Fundamental

In a recent of episode of "No Reservations," host Anthony Bourdain said something that really caught my attention. He said, "Without pasta, the meal is a sin against God and everything that is good and decent in the world." He was visiting Venice and was dining in a small family owned restaurant. Oh, how I wanted to be there.

Recently, for some unknown, reason I have been asked several times what my favorite food is. What a question! How do I answer that? Sweet or savory? Is it something I have made? Could it be something my mother has made? Something I had at a restaurant? My favorite food? I don't know why, but it struck me as such a challenging question. Should I equate it with the entire dining experience, or just base it on taste itself?

After much deliberating, I finally was confident of what my favorite food actually is. Pasta. Simply pasta cooked al dente, with a drizzle of olive oil and some freshly grated parmesan reggiano cheese. For me, there is nothing better. Simple, yet delicious; and the Anthony Bourdain quote pretty much sums it up for me. Pardon me, but I have to get some water boiling...

1 comment:

  1. Every child should experience a hot bowl of Ditalini pasta as prepared by a loving Nonna. One of life's truths, I've realized.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails